STUDENT ENROLLMENT AGREEMENT
PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE TERMS ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO SCHOLARSHIP TERMS BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR LIBRARY OR CORPORATE SPONSOR.
This Student Enrollment Agreement (which is referred to herein as the “Agreement”), is a binding agreement between you (the “Student”) and Smart Horizons Career Online High School (which is referred to as either the “School” or “Smart Horizons Career Online High School”). This Agreement is to be read in conjunction with the School’s Student Handbook, which shall also govern the Student’s relationship with the School. The Agreement shall become binding and effective upon the School’s acceptance hereof.
The Student and the School hereby agree as follows:
1. ADMISSIONS CRITERIA: All students entering Smart Horizons Career Online High School must be at least sixteen (16) years of age prior to the first day of class and have successfully completed the 8th Grade at an accredited institution. Minors will be required to obtain parental or guardian consent to enroll and parents or guardians will be required to indicate their responsibility for the minor’s financial obligations hereunder. For minors enrolled in the School, references to the Student’s financial responsibility below shall apply to the parent or guardian of the minor.
2. NON-DISCRIMINATORY CLAUSE: Smart Horizons Career Online High School will never deny admissions to anyone on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, or national origin.
3. FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT (FERPA): FERPA provides students who are 18 years of age or older certain rights with respect to their educational records. One of those rights is to deny others access to their educational records. This right remains in effect until a student provides written consent to disclose information in their educational records to others. As a result of FERPA, the Student understands that if the Student desires any school official to discuss Student’s progress with someone other than Student, the Student must first provide written consent.
4. SMART HORIZONS CAREER ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAM: While the School’s program is detailed more fully in the Student Handbook, in general, the Smart Horizons Career Online High School Program, includes eighteen (18) months of access and the following:
• 18 Online High School Courses
• High School Diploma
• High School Transcript
• Certificate in Career Major
5. GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS: In order to graduate from the School and to receive a diploma, certificate in career major, and high school transcript, the Student, must successfully complete all graduation requirements as specified in the Student Handbook, pass all assignments with a seventy (70%) percent average, and satisfy all financial obligations to the School. Neither a diploma nor certificate will be issued, nor transcripts released, until all tuition amounts are collected in full.
6. GROUNDS FOR TERMINATION: Student’s enrollment may be terminated for several reasons, including Student’s failure to comply with the School’s rules and policies, failure to comply with the terms and conditions set forth herein and in the Student Handbook, or the failure to make scheduled payments when due. The School may terminate Student’s enrollment at any time for such violations. The School further reserves the right to modify the rules and policies in the Student Handbook, and any such revisions will be posted online at www.smarthorizonsonline.org.
7. ACCREDITATION: Student understands that Smart Horizons Career Online High School is a division within the Smart Horizons Career Online Education District, an AdvancED/SACS fully accredited school district.
8. NO GUARANTEE: YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT COMPLETION OF THE SMART HORIZONS CAREER ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL, AND OBTAINING A DIPLOMA AND CAREER MAJOR CERTIFICATE IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF EMPLOYMENT OR ADMISSION TO A FOUR-YEAR COLLEGE, COMMUNITY COLLEGE AND/OR A CAREER COLLEGE. SMART HORIZONS CAREER ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL HAS NOT MADE ANY PROMISE TO YOU, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING ANY OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU FOLLOWING COMPLETION OF THE SCHOOL. YOU, THE STUDENT, UNDERSTAND THAT EACH FOUR-YEAR COLLEGE, COMMUNITY COLLEGE AND/OR CAREER COLLEGE HAS ITS OWN MINIMUM ADMISSION STANDARDS, AND THE DIPLOMA AND CAREER MAJOR CERTIFICATE MAY OR MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED AS MEETING THE MINIMUM ADMISSION STANDARDS. YOU, THE STUDENT, AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS SMART HORIZONS CAREER ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS FROM ANY SUCH CLAIM. IN ADDITION, YOU, THE STUDENT, SHOULD CHECK WITH YOUR STATE AND THE POST SECONDARY INSTITUTE OF YOUR CHOICE TO UNDERSTAND THE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. STATES HAVE CERTAIN FINANCIAL AID REQUIREMENTS FOR POST SECONDARY EDUCATION THAT MAY RESULT IN INSTITUTIONS NOT RECOGNIZING YOUR ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU, THE STUDENT, CHECK WITH YOUR SELECTED INSTITUTION TO OBTAIN A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE REQUIREMENTS AND ANY POTENTIAL RESTRICTIONS RELATING TO YOUR ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, PARTICULARLY FOR STUDENTS RESIDING IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK.
9. JURISDICTION FOR DISPUTES: Any suit, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to, and/or to enforce, this Agreement may be commenced and maintained only in a Florida state court of competent subject matter jurisdiction in Escambia County, Florida, and each Party waives objection to such jurisdiction and venue. The Parties expressly, knowingly and voluntarily waive any right to a trial by jury in any proceeding arising out of or relating to, and/or to enforce, this Agreement. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida, without regard to its conflict of law provisions.